This tool assists to prepare the admission of athlete students to a higher education dual career support scheme. By using the tool, most relevant data regarding the combination of sport and academic studies can be collected and an official athlete student status can be awarded.
The combination of high-performance sport, studies and personal life can represent a big challenge for athlete students. Entering a new educational environment might come with a set of adaptations in other spheres of life.
In many sports, this academic transition can happen parallel to the move from talented to senior level sport. Moreover, athlete students might have to change their place of living due to centralized performance programmes or due to their chosen higher education institute being located in a different city. Consequently, the thorough initiation of and preparation for the entry to higher education contributes to dual career success. The higher education institute is advised to facilitate a smooth arrival for their athlete students.
This is where the tool Uni I : Prepare comes into play. It helps higher education institutes gather initial data about the athlete’s dual career. Simultaneously, the athlete student self-collects systematic feedback on which things must (still) be organized before starting their studies. Finally, the tool assists to award participants in a higher education dual career support scheme with their official athlete student status. The tool works best in combination with Uni II: Perform.
Follow the instructions to apply this tool and browse our manifold resources to find out more about the addressed topic.
The Athlete Student Intake (pdf) represents a form to collect most relevant dual career data of a future athlete student. It is to be applied by the person at a higher education institute who coordinates an athlete student support scheme or, if not applicable, simply deals with athlete students. The form shall best be applied in the course of the first contact between the athlete and the institutional responsible. The Athlete Student Intake (pdf) serves to quickly scan sporting, educational and other dual career-related aspects which affect the upcoming study period. In addition, the included checklist helps both the athlete and the institutional responsible investigate if most crucial things to prepare the academic career alongside sport are thought through, researched and arranged.
The Athlete Student Certificate (pdf) is provided by the higher education institute based on the entry requirements of their higher education dual career support scheme. The certificate serves as the official proof that an athlete is part of the athlete student policy for a defined period, coming with the possibility of specific arrangements for the successful combination of high-performance sport and academic studies.
- Provide the Athlete Student Intake (pdf) to the athlete student personally or via email. Ask the athlete student to fill in the form and return it within a given deadline. Potential arising questions shall be included in the form. Schedule a physical meeting with the athlete student in which the form serves as the basis of the talk.
- If the entry requirements of your higher education dual career support scheme are met, hand out the filled in and signed Athlete Student Certificate (doc) to the athlete student. The athlete student is expected to be able to show the certificate in case of applying for dual career arrangements. Depending on your system, these arrangements are arranged by a central coordinator or via the personal interaction between the athlete student and a lecturer. The certificate is advised to be valid for one full study year. After each year, the institutional responsible controls if the entry requirements are still met by the athlete student. If this is the case, a new certificate is re-awarded.
- European Union (2022): The European Qualifications Framework (EQF)
- Fontys (2020): Top Sport & Studies Ambassadors
- Riksidrottsförbundet – Swedish Sports Confederation (2019): Swedish National Guidelines for elite athletes’ dual careers – Recommended actions for the combination of high-performance sports and university education at the Swedish National Sports Universities (RIUs) and Elite Sports-Friendly Universities (EVLs)
- Sport Ireland (2022): Six Third Level Institutions Awarded Accreditation for Student Athlete Support
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel (2018): Dual Career Competency Questionnaire for Athletes (DCCQ-A)
- Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (2020): Topsport Academy Amsterdam
- Napier University (2020): Elite Athlete Programme
- Tilburg University (2020): Special Circumstances – Dual Career
- University of Bath (2020): Team Bath – Dual Career Programme
- University of Manchester (2020): Elite Sport Strategy
- Verein KADA (2017): Studium Leistung Sport (SLS)
- Vickers, E. (2018): An Examination of the Dual Career Pathway and Transitions UK Student-Athletes experience throughout University Education
Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com
The tool "Uni I: Prepare" in action: See real-life examples of its application in EU dual career practice.